From Jerusalem, the Holy City
On 6 September, the first Friday of Ramadan
Lieber Jürgen,
Thank you for your encouraging words for my discharge from the Holy City. You put the Holy City in quotation marks and write in brackets, still you held fast to this title. I had given you my hand but never encouraged. But now I want to respond to them.
First I owe you thanks! You saw me through this year are true, I followed in my ways and to the encounters in Bethlehem and its surrounding villages and in Yanoun, a small mountain village. You helped me, the little horrors of everyday life and great horror at the consequences of the occupation of Palestine for both occupied and occupier, to reflect on and endure. So you were with me in Bethlehem and in Yanoun. And we were always in between in Jerusalem, is where our office and where I was also used when no one else was there. That was often an additional burden, especially for the soul. Imagine, then, because you so about the "Holy City", went to Jerusalem.
had to accompany me in Jerusalem house demolitions and displacement of families. But I also had time for me to move through the city to sit and wait for someone to be part of the people who live in Jerusalem or experience it as a travel destination, as businessmen, tourists or pilgrims. And then again the observation of house demolitions, of occupation and plunder of the houses by Jewish settlers and expulsions. What a horrible task! And what a goodbye now, to see that in the three years that I perceive this problem, nothing changed, nothing has improved and that the courage to believe in a just solution that has sunk, especially Palestinians. They understand that time is working against them. The world looks and sees it , but she gets used to the situation in Palestine and Israel. And they can give the evil. This is what the Palestinians this and still hold firmly that their holy city of Jerusalem and Palestine is their land, a magical land created for dreams and visions .
"A woman with Jerusalem", photo by Sliman Mansour
I'm standing on the roof terrace of the hotel where I spent the last two nights. The city is known only by their lights, close the so-called Tower of David, all around the old fortress wall from the heyday of the Ottoman Empire, the Old Town with its towers and domes, in the west, the new Jewish town and on to the edges of the settlements, which have placed the winners of the recent wars in the former surroundings. There were once the villages of the Palestinians. Whatever you see, determines that night and all night here, it is the traumatic scenario: The winner take all around the Palestinian city and country to country in the middle of their house by house. It is their Holy City, the city under the Holy Zion. You have a law and then Jerusalem is the undivided capital of Israel forever.
Today is the first Friday of the fasting month. has started four days ago of Ramadan. A Friday in the month of fasting to all Muslims in the country offers the opportunity to fulfill their duty and in the Al Aqsa mosque or on the large square in front of her, pray to the Haram as-Sharif. Many have their festive robes, white robes and white Keffiyas
Tonight I will visit a friend in West Jerusalem. In the synagogue not far from her house I have been twice, it is Orthodox, while politically minded, but men and women still sit separately. Our hostess is like in another, very small synagogue, where is this
had between my morning at the checkpoint and use my visit to the Jewish Jerusalem I have time - not only to start this letter - but for a walk in the old town. I attended a workshop for artists ceramic . It's nice to look at the big bowls and vases, small objects and tiles. Unlike the stores, everywhere in the souks memory offer and utility ceramics featuring Jerusalem, is here to see old Armenian art.
The sanctity of such a vision of how the Armenian on the tile, I can take you. It shows the city of God , not the people it claims as God and how they could contact the doings of the people for good. This vision helps me, hope for an end to the fear that a bomber could mingle with the prayer, an end to fear, the walls and sniper needs an end of impotence, with the losers of the war Israel here raise their claims and an end to ignorance, worship with the Christian pilgrims dead stones in this country and an end to tenure - it helps me to keep hope alive on an end to this hopeless time .
So, my dear friend, you're still in the coming week birthday. And this is my greeting for you. The tile I take with me on my way home. We will soon see, but you shall know that you have accompanied me on my last walk through the city. I will take a few pictures and you enclose - from the "holy city" as you can not leave to say.
Salaam maleikum! And Shabbat Shalom! how to say this evening is here! Peace be with you, as the beginnings of our Christian faith have yet hello and goodbye! Your
Gottfried
0 comments:
Post a Comment